Bootstrap Version 4 has been released, well the alpha at least. On its 4th birthday, the first alpha release of version 4 has been released. Extract: Bootstrap 4 has been a massive undertaking that touches nearly every line of code. We’re stoked to share it with you and hear your feedback. We’ve got a lot of news to share with you, so let’s jump right into it.
So what has changed?
With over 1,100 commits and 120,000 lines of changes in v4 so far. And its only the alpha.
- Moved from less to sass (using libsass)
- Improved grid system
- Opt-in flexbox support
- Dropped well, thumbnails and panels for cards
- Consolidated all HTML resets into a new module, Reboot
- Brand new customisation options
- Dropped IE 8 support
- Moved to rem and em units
- Rewrote all JS plugins
- Improved auto placement of tooltips and popovers
- Improved docs (rewrote all in markdown too, improved search coming too)
- Lots more (custom form controls, margin and padding classes, new utilities, etc)
Ready to be on the cutting edge? For those jamming on v4 with us, we also have a dedicated v4 Slack channel. Jump in to talk shop and work with your fellow Bootstrappers. If you haven’t yet, join our official Slack room!.
So what about version 3? Version 3 will be maintained with critical bug fixes and documentation improvements. V3 docs will be available after V4 release.
Oh and theres themes! Official themes.
These are paid for and can be found at http://themes.getbootstrap.com/
Full run down: http://blog.getbootstrap.com/2015/08/19/bootstrap-4-alpha/